Monday, August 15, 2011

Monday Morning August 15th

Hi everyone. Yesterday was just a relaxed day near Fairbanks. I decided to go northeast up the Steese Highway toward Circle. This is back up toward the Yukon river and an old gold mining area. I just poked along and went out to see what I could find. I found remnants of old gold mining camps and equipment. Then I turned down a side road and went back in about 20 miles. I even forded a stream and tried some gold panning on Nome creek. Didn't see any gold. I picked and enjoyed a few more huckleberries.

One of the more interesting things was that I stoped at the Long Creek trading post. I meet Paul the owner and operator. He is from Wisconsin and has been there for 12 years. He says that he wished it had been longer. he has done the gold thing but now he just supports the miner.  He is a hardy soul that does what he can to make a living in Alaska. He tells of many people coming up to find gold and realizing it is really hard work. He has some some interesting fossil's that he found in stream beds and some given to him. Some are Mammoth bones. I must have talked with Paul for nearly an hour. It is really good to connect and try to find out a little about the folks of Alaska.
\
This morning I also ran into three guys from Seattle that I meet back at Deadhorse.  They rode there KLR650's up the Dalton. Scott, one of the guys in the group, grew up in Anchorage and is headed their where his father lives. We talked a while about the trip and motorcycles and we exchanged contact information.

Long Creek Tradingf Post

Fossils found in Alaska by Miners

Paul Potvin, Long Creek Trading Post

The road thru Nome Creek
Time to get on with my Journey,Headed toward anchorage. We will see what today may bring. I'm loving all the things that come along....

No comments:

Post a Comment