Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Evening Day 6 In Alaska

WowI have gone a long ways since my last post. Last post was Watson Lake in the Yukon. Watson lake has something called the signpost forest. A sign was posted there in 1942 and since then it has become a tradition to allow anyone to post there own sign from where they are from. There are literally thousands of Posts with approximately 72 Thousand signs. I plan to post one on my way back home.
 I stopped in a little town of Teslin Yukon and saw a very interesting Indian museum. I would like to share some pictures from these two places but I unfortunately lost (misplaced I hope)  the memory card with these photos.( lost my Memory :) ) That really bugged me until I decided that it wasn't that big of a deal. If I don't find it I will be going back that way in a few weeks. Besides its just pictures.
I planed to stop short of Alaska yesterday but My GPS took me lead me to a place that wasn't there. Being this far north it stays light much later so kept driving. I  hit Alaska at 10:45 PM and the sun looked to be still an hour above the horizon! I took some pictures at around 11PM while it was still light. Very cool! I did stop and go to sleep around 11:30 even though it was still light.
This morning I saw a huge mosquito the size of a man!(see the picture) I stopped at the north pole and ended up in Fairbanks. Fairbanks has a very nice Pioneer Park with free museums and displays. You can go on an old stern wheeler. See old mining stuff. an airplane museum and much more.
I traveled 606 miles yesterday and 227 today. So far I traveled 2592 miles. I'm glad to have  paid only 3.93 for gas. I had to pay up to 5.51 in Canada. It's also good to make contact with some friends and family back home.
Tomorrow I start up the Dalton Highway toward the Arctic. This could be a 4 day trip.Until next time, enjoy your own journeys, I will enjoy mine.


Man size Mosquto... actually burl


This steam shovel worked on The Panama canal ,Hawaii and in Alaska


Indian tossing blanket of skins

At the North Pole

Crossing into Alaska just before 11pm

No comments:

Post a Comment