Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Late Wednesday August 24th

Wow! so much has happened and Ive done so many things since my last post. I have not had access to the Internet for several days so I will try to catch up.
I have explored much of the Kenai peninsula south of Anchorage. I traveled all the way down to Seward and across and down to Homer. From Dead horse up north down to Homer is over1000 Miles, and as I write this I have driven over 6000 miles! Alaska is really hug,  I have only seen part of the state. The only thing I haven't enjoyed is the rain, It has rained almost every day.Rain colors the way you see things.
On the peninsula I went to Exit Glacier. I went to the face of the Glacier and saw that there was a 4.4 mile hike to the ice field above the glacier. Well I was game, I thought I would at least go part way. I found out later that this almost nine mile round trip climbed over 4000 ft and was considered a strenuous 6 hour hike. About half way up I was trying to decide if If it was smart to keep going. Then I met Jena a young park ranger and struck up a conversation with her She has worked for the park service for 4 summers. She told me "pain is only temporary but the glory lasts forever" I'm glad I stuck it out. The view from the top was wonderful! I also hiked along with Ivan from Bulgaria. We also talked a bit. We even saw mountain goats on the trip.
Down the road was a place that sold Antlers and various other treasures. Tom the owner was a really interesting guy he carves antlers and Mammoth tusks and has a huge selection and wonderful stories.  He came to Alaska at the age of 19 in 1971. We spent a long time talking and he told me of some other places I should visit.
There are so many things I may talk about later but I did want to mention the Alaskan Wildlife Conservation center. It is near Portage and it was very cool. They have rescued and Orphaned animals to raise and protect. You walk or drive through their 200 acre facility and see Buffalo, Moose, Caribou, Black bear, Grizzly Bear, Eagles and more. I marveled at how docile these Animals are behind wire. Comfortable in a cage. Or is it resignation?
Ive been thinking about the freedom I have felt on this trip and I have also thought of cages. Many times cages are of our own making. Sometimes we feel trapped and unhappy. Are we comfortable where we are or resigned to our situation like the bear? Where we are could be good for us and we should make the best of it. Sometimes the best thing is to work to change the situation. Attitude is the key to being happy where we are.  Courage is the key to make changes.
A lot more could be said and as I reread this I may have more thoughts, but it is very late ( near midnight)
Until next time enjoy your own journey. And make the best of life inspite of the rain ( or cages)

(having trouble with pictures, will add them later)
Me standing above the Exit Glacier


Holding a mammoth tusk in Alaska Horn and Antler




A Grizley in captivity


No comments:

Post a Comment