Monday, August 8, 2011

August 7th, Day 2 of Rich's excellent Adventure!

Wow what a day! I got an earlier start (8 AM), and my GPS said it was 526 miles to Dawson Creek and I should be there at 5:21... plus delays of course. Should be an easy day. What could I do with all that extra time? That wasn't a problem...

First at the campsite, I ended up talking to this couple from the Netherlands. They were touring the U.S. and Canada. And I thought I was planning a long journey...
Next I saw the worlds largest Skis at the 100 mile house. The 100 mile house was the location of a roadhouse 100 miles from the beginning of the 1860's trail to the Barkersville gold field. I spent a lot of time at the 108 mile ranch which was a historic preservation site. I even spent some time in an old church since it was Sunday. It was meaningful even though I was there by myself. I was reminded of God's presence in my life.

I  took a little detour to Barkersville which is a historic town. I had a Moose run across the road in front of me on the way there. This is the 1860's gold rush town that has been rebuilt and even has people acting out that historic time.  This place was very well done and worth the time. I even learned some gold panning technique that I might try when I get to Alaska.
Then there was the slight delay of about 40 miles of washed out road and road construction. That led me to Chetwynd also know as The Chainsaw Carving Capital of the world. Some amazing Art! By then It was 9:30 So I drove to Dawson Creek and arrived at 10:35. 595 miles today, 1042 total so far. and hundreds of pictures. The beauty of this country is amazing....
Where did all that extra time go? Wow what a day... I hope to be in Fairbanks in three days, but who knows what I may do on my Journey....
Till next time...
Worlds largest Skis at the 100 mile House Visitors center



Reconstructed Church at 108 mile ranch


Blooms In the old Wagon Wheel at Barkersville


40 miles of this and I'm not in Alaska yet!


Chain Saw carving in Chetwynd


No comments:

Post a Comment