Friday, August 19, 2011

Friday Morning August 19th

Wow!  It is Friday already! It is really hard to keep track of the days... I am on Vacation! I think I kind of disappeared into Alaska. And I mean that almost literally.
Through a chain of relationships I contacted someone living in Alaska named Chris. Chris and I have been talking and we got together. It is one thing to talk with someone from this state, But it is a step beyond to actually spend a lot of time with them.
I really enjoy Chris. He is starting to build a camp in the woods. I spent a couple of nights there,  and that is why I have not been able to post. Last night I actually stayed at his house and I'm posting from his computer. I couldn't even call from his camp.
Chris is an avid outdoors man and He invited me to fish. I have never been a fisherman but I thought,Hey I need to be willing to try something new! Tuesday night we went fishing. We went miles down one of the worst mud hole filled road I have ever seen. We fished in a river until 10:30 that night and caught nothing. People 100 feet away were pulling them in and I admit I was a little jealous for their spot. It was cold, and I could even see the sunset on a Glacier a few miles away. This seemed nuts! I could hardly believe what I found out about the level of commitment of these fishermen.

The next day we tried another spot. And I kid you not, My first cast I caught a beautiful Silver Salmon. I ended up catching 4 nice fish in a fairly short time. I was hooked! I noticed other fishermen were looking at me pulling them in. Maybe a little envious ? I have a picture of two of my fish. We had grilled Salmon that night.

I saw some really cool museums in Anchorage yesterday. I really enjoyed the history and all the information about the native people of Alaska. They were so resourceful and creative. I will talk more about them when I can post more pictures.

 We went out fishing again last evening! We could see the fish in the river swimming by. We would cast right in front of them but they just wouldn't bite. That's the way it goes.
 It doesn't always go the way you want, but I enjoyed the experience anyway.
I'm headed south today. To move onward with my journey. Fishing helped me to learn about the unexpected.... but to accept and enjoy life anyway.

Here are two of my 4 Silver (Coho) Salmon

No comments:

Post a Comment